The Blackhawks wore a white jersey for their first season of 1926-27 but then reversed the jerseys colors to black with white stripes for 1927-28. They did not wear another white jersey until the 1940-41 season and their now familiar style featured today did not arrive until the 1955-56 season. Since then there have been changes, such as the original one color black numbers becoming two color numbers in 1973 and the lace-up collar changing to a v-neck in 1965.
Sleeve numbers arrived in 1957-58, and the secondary logo changed size and location a number of times until 1959-60 when it found its permanent location. Names on the back were mandated in 1977-78 and the jersey has remained unchanged ever since, including surviving the introduction of the new Reebok Edge jerseys for 2007-08.